Special Collections materials may be accessed by appointment. To book an appointment, please complete and submit a Special Collections Instruction & Access Request.
Prior to visiting the Reading Room, we ask all patrons to read through the following procedures to ensure safe and respectful access:
1. Research is conducted within the Reading Room, adjacent to the vault. Usage of this room is monitored and vault access is restricted to staff only.
2. Pencil, paper, and personal electronic devices can be used for note taking. Wireless access is available to all VIU community users.
3. No food or drink permitted.
4. Please leave coats, bags, and any other belongings not required for note taking at the entrance of the Reading Room, away from the work tables.
5. Care must be taken when handling all Special Collections material. The existing order of material housed within boxes and folders must be maintained. Materials should not be marked, removed, added to, or damaged in any way.
6. Researchers and staff may be required to wear gloves (provided) when handling rare or fragile material.
7. Digital photography may be used (without flash) to make copies for personal use. Some materials may require book cradles or weights to position them in order to prevent damage, while others may be too delicate or fragile for photography. Digital reproduction services are available upon request.
8. Access and photographic reproduction of Special Collections material is for research and private study only and does not imply copyright permission for publication, distribution, exhibition, performance, and commercial use. Questions of copyright that may arise in the copying and use of the material is assumed by the user. When required, it is their responsibility to obtain permission from the copyright holder.